Sunday, October 21, 2007

Love and Baseball

I love baseball. I love baseball so much that I'm even willing to talk about my love life on this blog, just so that you understand how much I love baseball. Considering that my only hard and fast rule for blogging is to avoid talking about relationships, this is a pretty big deal.

Enough preamble. I'm not one of those guys who wrote down a list of things that he is looking for in a girl, but there are a few things that would be nice: she's got to have a good sense of humor, she's got to be easygoing, and she's gotta love baseball.

That's right, I want to marry a baseball fan. I love being with the crowd and rooting for your team. I love that at the ballpark you can give your neighbor a high-five after a big play, even if you don't know them from Adam. And when you love something, you want to share it with the ones you love, right? Right. I can't wait to take my kids to their first game. Going to the game with my Dad was always one of my favorite things. Heck, those experiences made such an impression on me I still remember the first game I ever went to (Mariners vs. Orioles). I think I was 6. I don't remember much else from when I was 6.

Familial concerns aside (and more to the point) girls in baseball gear are hot. I don't know if it's some kind of tomboy thing or an attraction fueled by shared interest, but when a girl throws on her team's colors, I'm sold. And forget fashion. You can always tell when a girl is trying to look the part. I'm talking about wearing it because you love your team. Show me a girl that has bought at least one piece of baseball apparel that doesn't match her purse and I'm there.

One last thing: team choice. Of course, first and foremost, I'd love it if I met a Mariner's fan. I actually did ask a girl out once solely based on the fact that she was a Mariners fan, but that's a story for some other time. But, since M's fans are few and far between out here in the East, I'm open to any team affiliation - except of course for Yankees fans. I realize that I'm eliminating a big portion of the people I may potentially date, but I just can't do it. Any time I try rooting for them, a little bit of me dies inside. But I guess there's always exceptions...

2 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie Hibbard said...

Even tho this post is a year old and the Mariners finished--what? 40 back??--I wanted to tell you that I am a girl who loves baseball. Breaths baseball. Take me out to the ballgame--anytime over a fancy restaurant or a movie. Flowers? Naw, I would rather have a beer and a hot dog. And a lot of peanuts.
I'm in withdrawals and it's only mid November...
Dodgers' spring training starts Feb 25. I can do it.