Tuesday, October 30, 2007

GH3 First Impressions

The Cons
  • Too many startup 'movies.' In the previous versions of GH, you only had to click once to get through all of the little developer movies at the beginning of the game. Now you have to click through each one individually. This feels like a "Microsoft Move" to me.
  • The characters are in this strange middle ground where they don't look so cartoony as before, but they also don't look very real. This really isn't that big of a deal except for one thing:
    • The singer. I'm convinced that he is the reason for the Teen rating on the game. He looks like he eats babies.
  • The songs seem more rhythmic. Yeah, there are too many songs (in my opinion) where you are playing "chunk, chunk, chunk, chunk, chunk,..." on your guitar, rather than fun melodic figures. I find these songs less rewarding and more "video game" like.
  • This one feels more "video game" like. Some of the rhythmic figures seem really ticky-tack to me, kind of like those stupid one brick platforms in Super Mario Bros. that never failed to screw me over as a kid. I guess I'll get over this one.
  • There is a flashing on the "Shanker's Island" stage that can be really distracting until you get used to it.
  • After every 50 notes in a streak, a message pops up on the screen congratulating you, which invariably causes me to lose my streak. I like the counter (see below) much better.
  • The new controller. The good is they made the strum bar softer, but the new "more accurate" fret buttons are way too loud. Plus they are a bit over-sensitive, if you ask me. I miss more notes with that controller than with my other wireless. Perhaps some tweaking will be required... (stay posted for that one).
The Neutral
  • The little cartoons in career mode. It's like being in a Gorillaz video. It would've been kind of cool if the in game animations were like this.
  • The sound balance seems a bit weird to me. I can probably fix that one in the settings, though, so it gets put here with the neutrals.
  • The new menus. I kind of like the old ones better, but I'm glad they didn't just change the colors a la Rocks the 80's.
  • Whammy bar calibration. I spent about 5 minutes playing with this, but I couldn't make much sense out of it. Perhaps I'm stupid.
  • The new star power meter. It's not quite as clear at a quick glance how much star power you have, since you have to interpret the brightness of a bulb along with how many.
The Good
  • Hammer-ons and pull-offs are easier. Very nice.
  • The star power animation is much smoother, meaning my tendency to miss the first note after engaging star power has gone down.
  • Clicky, over-sensitive buttons aside, I love the feel of the new controller. And the breakaway neck (and the new on/off switch, for some reason).
  • The battle mode is pretty fun. Beating Slash (after he had beaten me) was surprisingly satisfying.
  • The Master Tracks are really fun to play.
  • After about a 30 note streak, a streak counter appears. That can be pretty cool.
  • Most importantly, the gameplay is pretty much the same as it always has been. Excellent.

9 comments:

Don said...

So the overall... Indifferent?

Brigham said...

You know what made me SO mad at this game? That complete silence at many of the menu screens, ESPECIALLY when you the Encore screen comes up...you mean those fists are pumping in silence?!

ALSO, like you said, I have to click the green button 6 times before I'm to the main menu. Grrr.

It wasn't until the Making the Video stage that I played any songs (or hit any sequences of notes) that made me smile. But from then on I smiled quite a bit.

I actually miss the old star power animation. And I actually like the on screen notices for how you're streak is going.

Does the fret board seem smaller to you?

And I miss how the GHII menus would sort of slide back and forth, you know?

Scrumpestuous D said...

OK, so I forgot, overall - I'd give it an 8/10 (for what I've played).

I don't know about the fretboard, since I'm playing it on my roommates (laggy) widescreen TV. That was another thing that kind of soured me on the game at first was trying to dial in the lag. I really want to buy someones old TV just to play guitar hero. And yes, I miss the movement of the menus too. I'm not really keen on the new ones.

Brigham said...

Wait! Forgot something very important!

1) BIG CON: I have experienced slow-down (you know, like the machine can't handle its workload) when activating star power on big stretches of notes, causing me to immediately mess up and lose my x8. This is a BAD thing.

2) BIG PRO: Playing over the end credits, very nice touch. Much better than the bizarre "finish him" sequence.

Side of Jeffrey said...

I noticed no mention of the dual mode. I played with Little and it was fun having one be bass and the other lead. Did you like that certain songs are only available from the dual campaign? I did.

Scrumpestuous D said...

Sadly, there was no mention because until last night, I hadn't played the co-op campaign mode (which is fun, as I enjoy some of the bass parts). Sadly, I do not enjoy that some of the songs are only available to unlock in co-op because I fear I'll never get anyone to come over to my place to play with me and unlock them.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Don't be sad Scrump. Don't. this is a chance for you to make a new friend. Just invite someone off the street upstairs.

Scrumpestuous D said...

There are no streets where I live, sadly.

Stacie said...

I will come play! I was the coolest teacher at school last year because we played every Friday morning. I'm not great, but it is awesome!