Saturday, March 08, 2008

Hey! I've been there...

Originally, I was going to post about Topaz, a Hitchcock film I hadn't yet seen (and I'm guessing most of you haven't either), but opening up my browser I found this article: 36 Hours in Puebla, Mexico, and of course I couldn't let it pass by.
For those of you who don't know, Puebla is where I served my mission, and I can't tell you how overlooked a place it is for travel. Of course I'm biased, and it does suffer from a lack of beaches (being the reason most people travel to Mexico), but if you're in to great food, great architecture and great food (did I mention that before?), then I'd jump at the chance to visit.
Now I promise not to regale you with boring mission stories, but I do want to take a moment to tell you about the Cemitas (think torta on tasty, tasty steroids) at the Mercado del Carmen. Not only does the Mercado del Carmen have the best Cemitas around, but is also the backdrop of one of the funniest things to ever happen to me during my two years as a missionary. Ask me next time you see me. Also, if you ever want to try a Cemita, let me know. I know where they can be had.
Just one more thing before I let this go, and I don't know how the Times could have missed this. If you ever go down to Puebla, you HAVE to go to the La Oriental Taqueria and have a Taco Arabe. These are a local specialty, only to be found in Puebla. Being an "Arabian" taco, they are served on a pita-like thick flour tortilla and served with a spicy chipotle salsa. To put any other salsa on this taco is heresy, but you won't regret it, so just do it. Anything else to add? Oh yes, while you're there, do buy some talavera. It's very lovely.

You didn't think I'd let you get away without a few photos, did you? Please forgive the quality...

Cemitas at Mercado del Carmen
La Paz Chapel, in the heart of Puebla
The Cathedral of Puebla


Buffalo Burgers - pretty big but not super tasty
Super Luigi Pizza. Check out their sign
Ash from Popocateptl
It's a small world if you're Mormon

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Dave, it is so fun to see pictures of you from your mission.