Tuesday, March 11, 2008

D's Hall of Fame Albums

The other day, a friend of mine extracted my guitar from it's dust encrusted case. Happily, it hasn't gone back in since.
One of the first guitarists that I attempted to emulate was Eric Clapton, which has turned out to be no easy task. Owning only an acoustic guitar, I've spent hours poring over the tab of his Unplugged album, and twice as many listening to it. Almost like a first love, there have been moments of sheer joy (like when I realized I could play Signe), moments of utter heartbreak (like when I realized how utterly difficult Lonely Stranger is), and moments of compromise (which led to my non-Dobro version of Running on Faith).
My musical taste has expanded since I was in middle school, but I'm still amazed at how much of an influence this album has had on it. Which got me thinking... why not share what albums have had the biggest influence on me over the years? Why not call it a hall of fame? And the idea was born.
So far this is the hall's first inductee, but by no means is it the most important. So, stay tuned for the occasional induction ceremony. Hopefully it will be enlightening.

No comments: