Monday, January 28, 2008

Trust me on this one...

According to the heart-shaped Reese's that I ate yesterday, Valentine's Day is just around the corner. I'm no hater. Any holiday that encourages good food, romantic music and alone time with that special someone gets a pass in my book. This year I've decided to contribute to the common good, and though fine food and special someone's aren't my strong points, I do know a thing or two about romantic music. Here's the list (iTunes links provided for your previewing pleasure, where available):
  • "My Lament" by the Maria Schneider Orchestra

  • "When I Fall in Love" performed by the Miles Davis Quintet
    Miles Davis Quintet - Steamin' (Rudy Van Gelder Edition) - When I Fall In Love

  • "Moody's Mood For Love" sung by Eddie Jefferson
    James Moody - At the Jazz Workshop - Moody's Mood for Love (I'm in the Mood for Love)

  • "It Never Entered My Mind" performed by the Miles Davis Quintet
    Miles Davis Quintet - Workin' With the Miles Davis Quintet - It Never Entered My Mind

  • "In a Sentimental Mood" performed by John Coltrane and Duke Ellington
    Duke Ellington & John Coltrane - Duke Ellington and John Coltrane - In a Sentimental Mood

  • "You Are Too Beautiful" perf. by John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
    John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman - You Are Too Beautiful

  • "Someone to Watch Over Me" perf. by Ben Webster
    Ben Webster - Ben Webster for Lovers - Someone to Watch Over Me

  • "My Funny Valentine" perf. live by Sarah Vaughan
    Sarah Vaughan - Live in Japan, Vol. 1 - My Funny Valentine

  • "Blue In Green" perf. by the Miles Davis Sextet
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - Blue In Green

  • "I'm Old Fashioned" perf. by John Coltrane
    John Coltrane - Blue Train (Remastered) - I'm Old Fashioned

  • "When I Fall In Love" from the soundtrack of Good Night, and Good Luck
    Dianne Reeves - Good Night, Good Luck (Music from and Inspired By the Motion picture) - When I Fall In Love

  • "When I Look in Your Eyes" perf. by Diana Krall
    Diana Krall - When I Look in Your Eyes - When I Look in Your Eyes

  • "My Foolish Heart" perf. by the Bill Evans Trio
    The Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby (Remastered) [Live] - My Foolish Heart

  • "A Child Is Born" by Thad Jones
    Mel Lewis & Thad Jones - Consummation - A Child Is Born

  • "Li'l Darlin'" perf. by The Count Basie Orchestra
    Count Basie - The Complete Atomic Basie - Li'l Darlin'
The genre should come as no surprise, as I do consider Jazz to be the most romantic of the musics. But whether you agree with me or not on that point, hopefully you will agree that whether paired with a romantic meal at home or a bit of after-dinner canoodling, this set should fit the bill perfectly.

No comments: