Sunday, January 27, 2008

Really Massive Irish Rockers

Just got back from U2 3D. If anyone can take you on a mindbending multi-dimensional rockstraveganza, it's Bono. In fact, there were moments that I was worried that the man was going to fall off the screen and in to my lap. I don't know if I could handle that. He even used his multidimensionality to try to wipe away each audience member's tear during "Sunday Bloody Sunday." Thanks Bono.

OK, all joking aside, it was a pretty awesome movie/concert/experience. I'm not a huge U2 fan, but I like them enough to sit through 1.5 hrs of concert. The 3D effects were done tastefully and worked to great effect. Sure, Bono's pretentiousness seemed bigger in 3D, but so did The Edge's awesomeness which provided a nice counterbalance. I get the feeling that he's the one that helps Bono keep it real. The best numbers on the film are: (Musically) "Where the Streets Have No Name," which is saying something since I'm tired of hearing the recorded version, and (Visually) "The Fly," where they managed to take the stuff shown on the billboards behind the band and make them work on the screen. So, basically what I'm saying is that if you even kind of like U2, it'd be worth your while to get yourself a ticket. Just don't cry during "One" like the guy in the corner of the screen was doing. How embarrassing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite Onion headlines ever was "Rest of U2 perfectly fine with Africans starving."