Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Movies I know very little about

Wikipedia states that Ingmar Bergman was "one of the great masters of modern cinema." I wouldn't know. Having never seen one of his films, his death, while sad, had little effect in making me think about his work. It did however put me into what I like to call my Criterion Collection mood. When I'm in this mood I generally think of myself as a kind of connoisseur of fine film, when the truth of the matter is that most of the movies I see contain booger jokes (or giant robots peeing on things). So no, I've never seen Wild Strawberries and I've never seen The 400 Blows, but quite frankly, that doesn't worry me. I'm not all that interested in them right now. There are a few movies that I've been told are "good" that I've been dying to see but haven't yet (listed from least to most interest).
  • Black Orpheus
  • On the Waterfront
  • Dr. Zhivago
  • Rope
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Strangers on a Train
  • Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (because Miles Davis did the soundtrack)
  • Shadow of a Doubt
  • Paper Moon
  • Citizen Kane
  • Metropolis
I think that the reason why I want to see most of these is because they are total mysteries to me. If anyone is interested in checking one or more of these out, feel free to let me know.

2 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

People complain that Citizen Kane is too long...but they are wrong. Also, you MUST see 400 Blows. I think Jeff Butler would also suggest you see Fellini's 8 1/2, but I am still torn on that one. Also, you should see The Shining again just because its great.

Kimberly said...

I must say that On the Waterfront could possibly one of my favorites, though I have quite a few. First time I saw it was in one of my high school english classes. You would definitely enjoy.