Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Last Brag

OK folks, tonight I had the great pleasure of listening to The Brawner Brothers at my apartment complex. So who are they? Well, the flyer advertised them as B.B. King's backup band, which I think might have been a bit of creative advertising. What I learned when I got there was that the Brawner Bros. are a soul/funk/blues group based here in the city. So, I didn't get quite what I was expecting, but what I got was pretty good. OK, enough talk, on to the pictures.
Here's just a little idea of what the setup was like. Pretty small, out on the river.
Here's the band. I'm kicking myself now for not having sat closer.
If I had to be one guy in the band, I'd be the bass player. He looks like he has a lot of fun. Also note the lady with the bluesy hat. I bet she has stories to tell!

So, if you were to ask me what group the Brawner Brothers reminds me of (not that you were), I would have to say Tower of Power. I saw Tower of Power in Salt Lake a few years ago with old friends Janelle and Cynthia at the SLC Jazz Fest. Ahh... those were the days.

Anyway, I'm getting a feeling that I'm not really helping you figure out what this music is like, so I'll try something that we've never done here at the OP, and that's video. Enjoy!


Sorry about the bald headed guy. If I'd only have sat closer... Wasn't that guitar solo awesome? It was way better than my movie taking skills, at any rate. Now, check out my personal favorite song of the night, "Compared to What":



Pretty good, don't you think?

2 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

related but unrelated - I am on hold for the Uhaul service number right now...and they have me listening to SMOOTH, New York Jazz station.

Side of Jeffrey said...

herbie hancock