Monday, September 18, 2006

The Sound of Silence

I was talking to some friends last night about the subject of talking. The conversation went something like this:

Me: I talk too much.
Others: Yes you do.

It wasn't much of a conversation. Later that evening, waiting for the bus, I realized that I really am afraid of silence. There are probably several reasons why, but I still haven't figured out what they are. Now, there is a principle here that I should have learned a long time ago. I am a huge fan of Jazz, and there was a time that I played decent Jazz trumpet (sadly, it's been almost 2 years since I was playing regularly). Well, when learning how to play an improvised solo, there is this pressure to fill every beat with notes, either to show everyone that you can play well, or out of fear of losing their interest. But as you may have guessed, the experienced soloist knows that empty space (silence) in a solo is equally as important as the space that you fill. I've got another jazz principle having to do with falling on your face, but that will have to wait for some other time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were referring to me as "Others" now. And to clear my name in the eyes of your readership, I did not, for the record, say that you talk too much - only that you tend to tell long, meandering stories to fill the silence, which is clearly something you've already recognized you do. I like your stories too, I just think you need to be more comfortable with the quiet. Don't hate me!

Scrumpestuous D said...

In all fairness, things did go down like Pamela said they did. I just changed them a bit in the interest of succinctness and humor. Who wants to hear a long, meandering, boring story? No hate here, only love.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you talk too much. In fact, I like being with you because you always have something interesting and insightful to share. I miss having you around!