Wednesday, June 25, 2008

More NYTimes Related Root Beer News

Back when I posted about my trip to DC, there was one thing that I forgot to mention. I was introduced to a new Root Beer. After posting a bit about my favorite root beers, my faithful tour guide and friend, Jared, began telling me about Sprecher. It's from Wisconsin, but apparently you can get it at just one place in the DC area, and he was nice enough to stock the fridge with it (as well as buying me some Thomas Kemper - he's really a good guy). Anyway, I was surprised to find this morning that the NYTimes wine gurus had taste tested some root beers, and good 'ol Sprecher was at the top of their list.

So, what do I think of it? Well, I liked it enough to try and take a fancy picture of the bottle (and fail). It's smooth and full bodied, and comes in a larger-than-normal bottle, which is nice. I'll definitely ask again for this one next time I'm in DC. And how did my beloved TK rank? Well, it got 2 out of 4 stars, which insn't bad considering the wine tasters only gave Sprecher three. All in all, a good turn out for some very tasty concoctions.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Henry Weinhards didn't even make the list!? I don't know about the others, but it's tons better than IBC or stewarts, although the latter is pretty good.

Anne said...

Now I'm curious. Where in DC can one find this?

Cabeza said...

Anne--The only place that I'm aware of where you can get it around here is the Dairy Godmother in Alexandria. It's on Mt. Vernon Avenue, right in the heart of Del Ray.

Anne said...

Next time I'm in Alexandria I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the tip Cabeza!