Wednesday, June 18, 2008

For those of you who still listen to Coldplay

Here's my initial thought about their new album: it's OK.

The tracks that stand out to me the most are incidentally the ones that make up the album title: Viva la Vida (the one Apple chose for the new iPod ad) and Death and All His Friends (which gave me the same sort of 'a-ha!' moment that Fix You did). The silliest thing on the album? Probably the line in the booklet, "Sonic landscapes by Brian Eno." I'd like to see how you quantify a sonic landscape. I bet it looks a lot like sheet music. Runner up: hidden track in the middle of the album.

All in all I don't feel bad about having payed $11. It's Coldplay. Not nearly as revolutionary as the album cover suggests, but enjoyable.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm actually really enjoying the cd. Yes it is a bit different than their usually stuff (no songs that jump out at you initially like Yellow, The Scientist, etc) except Viva la Vida, but I love the flow of the songs on the cd when you listen through it from start to finish. I'm also really liking 42. The more I listen to the cd, the more I like it! My only thing is I like the bonus song (on iTunes) that is a more piano version of the song Lost. Much better in my mind than the original track. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Bilaeva said...

Cheers Kim. I heard that version of Lost on BBC radio and was a bit confused when we listened to the album. Glad to know I'm not imagining things!

And I really like the Cemetery song.