Monday, June 30, 2008

Oh, those crazy German art students!

I guess I'm coming in to this a few days late, but have any of you seen this? That photo is pretty bad a... sort of Dirty Harry meets camera nerd. The device's potential for pissing people off or for advertising has caused several hissy fits already, but I'm not much of one to buy into the mob mentality of the internet. It certainly could be used to help wean people off of using their flash, which could be a very good thing.

Here's some more info if you want the lowdown on the tech side of things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be honest, it looks a little fishy to the skeptic in me. Kind of a cool idea, but they don't really show the thing in action (just pictures after), nor is there anywhere that someone else has tested it out. I wonder if this is a clever hoax.

On the other hand, if it is true, you could make sure that your horse wins all those 'photo finishes' at the races:)

Scrumpestuous D said...

You can watch a video he made over here, if that helps.

The principle is simple really, and is used in photography studios and at shoots every day. In fact, my pop up flash can trigger another flash, and there's no hint of "delay" in the final photo. Could be a hoax, but at least it's firmly anchored in the science of the medium.

Anonymous said...

I had watched the video. While I think the idea is plausible, I think it would be hard to implement. For me at least, the jury is still out.

Another application could be to frame your friends at one of those photocop intersections. All you need is a blank license plate and some way to mount the flugerator.

I wonder if we are going to see 'Free Tibet' all over our pictures now...