Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mmmm... root beer.

Here's the scoop on that new diet root beer from the folks over at Thomas Kemper: it's pretty darn good.

I have to admit something here: I'm biased against diet sodas. So, using a free meal as bait, I lured a couple of diet soda experts over to my place so I could get their opinions as well. Phrases like, "20 calories, really?" and "I'd drink this" were thrown about. No joke. Apparently, the root beer also puts Michelle "in the mood" (see photo), but in the mood for what the world may never know.

We all agreed that there was a definite diet aftertaste to it, but it wasn't that strong. The girls, neither one of which had ever had an original TK, both told me that they liked the flavor of the root beer quite a bit. I've had hundreds of bottles of the original over the years, and though it was pretty easy to tell that this one wasn't, it was still most definitely a Thomas Kemper.

For me, one of the biggest surprises was how light it was. I wasn't the only one to mention that. If you've ever tried an original, you'll know that it's pretty rich. I usually save mine for dessert and skip the cookies. With the diet, you get a lot of the flavor without feeling like it's one of the courses, which is nice.

So, what's the verdict? Well, while I still think I'd reach for an original for my after-dinner treat, I wouldn't be ashamed of bringing a case of the diet to any respectable barbecue or using it in a lower-cal root beer float.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a great picture.

Side of Jeffrey said...

I hope they send you more root beef for doing this. Although Foo Fighters were great, watching Michelle drink root beer apparently is priceless.

Scrumpestuous D said...

Mmm... I'd love some more. I may be working on a scheme to get some of the original out here. We'll see...

Don said...

Yeah, I would have to agree about the picture. Michelle, you could definitely be in an ad for root beer. You've got my vote.

Michelle A. said...

Thanks Don! You are sweet.