Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Making use of old news

I've been listening to ABBA for the last few days. I hate to admit it, but there's something about those Swedes. I guess it's my one guilty pleasure...

But it got me thinking about a comment made by John McCain several months ago, back when everyone thought he was out of the race, perhaps thrown about to show how out of it he was. He was asked about what was on his iPod (he has an iPod?). His answer, from the Austin American-Statesman:

Dare I say ABBA. Everybody says, ‘Ehhh, ABBA.’ Why is that? ABBA was the largest selling (recording act ever). Nobody likes them but they sold more records than anybody in the history of the world, including the Beatles. But everybody hates them. (But) you’re a no-class guy if you like ABBA. Why does everybody go see ‘Mamma Mia?’ Hypocrisy! Rank hypocrisy! I’m not embarassed to say I like ABBA, ‘Dancing Queen.’”

More from McCain. If elected, “the background music would be ABBA in the elevators all over the White House.”

And even more.

“‘Take a Chance on Me.’ Maybe that’s what we should have as our (campaign) theme song. That would be good.”

Is this why so many Republicans are mad at him?

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I will admit without shame that I ♥ ABBA! But maybe there is no shame because I'm a girl and I'm of Swedish decent??

Scrumpestuous D said...

Or maybe it's an Arizona thing. At least in your case...

Kimberly said...

Nice observation. :)