Wednesday, August 29, 2007

If only I'd stayed one more day...

So, I'm finally back from my scientific conference/vacation, and though I'm glad to be back in the city (and blogging again), I really should have stayed in Seattle one more day. The weather is better, there is food at my parents house (there isn't any in my apartment), and most of all, if I had stayed, I could have met Steve Wiebe.

That's right folks - I could have met the star of "King of Kong." Now, I know that some of you have seen this film, so you will know how big of a deal this could have been. You see, as those with whom I saw the movie are painfully aware, he lives very close to where I grew up, and in fact teaches in the school district where I went to school. I was headed out to Seattle the next day, and after a bit of detective work, found an email and sent him a note requesting a meeting to shake his hand and have him sign a Donkey Kong figurine (which I got in my early teens as a game tester for Nintendo). A week went by and yesterday I received a very nice reply stating that he had just got to my email and that if I were going to be in town on Wednesday (today), he would love to meet with me. Man! If only! Well, I guess it was never meant to be, but it just goes to show that he really is as nice of a guy as he is portrayed in the movie. So, if you haven't seen this movie yet, let me join the others in strongly encouraging you to go and see it. Seriously.

2 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

Sad story - though I'm not sure what your beef with NY weather is. Yesterday it was like 82, relatively dry, and sunny. Strand bookstore called is "transplendent"

Scrumpestuous D said...

The weather was nice yesterday, no argument there. But I'm guessing you've never been to Seattle in the summer. The best ways to describe the weather is "fresh" and "clean," two adjectives that cannot be used for a NYC summer. Plus, it smells like pine trees. Maybe I'm biased. Maybe I'm not.