Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Roosevelt Island... Who Knew!?

A good friend of mine is in town and is staying with her brother, who just so happens to live on Roosevelt Island. So, after scoring some free Godiva chocolate bars, we headed over there for dinner. I'd never been there before, so I really had no idea what to expect. Here are a few of the more interesting things that I learned.
  • Roosevelt Island has a president. This president is not voted in to office, but rather installed by the governor of New York.
  • Roosevelt Island's only street is aptly named Main Street.
  • Main Street has all the charm of a 1980's junior college.
  • Roosevelt Island has a school. I don't know why this surprised me. Perhaps I'd always thought Roosevelt was something like the Hawaiian Island of Ni'ihau where the ways of ancient New Yorkers were still practiced.
  • You can actually walk to the Costco in Queens from Roosevelt Island. It's really close.
  • The tram ride back into the city was nice, though not as impressive as I'd hoped.
  • And finally, there must be a high pirate population on Roosevelt Island, as the local liquor store is called "The Grog Shop."
Wow. After a list that incredibly awesome, what more can I say?

2 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

I love the R.I. Seriously. Something about it feels just right. Like I'm in the Boise suburb of Manhattan.

Bilaeva said...

the place creeps me out!