Friday, June 22, 2007

Griffey is Spiffey

I was cruising through the Seattle P-I looking for news on whether or not the Sonics will be leaving Seattle, and saw they had an article about Ken Griffey, Jr.'s return to Seattle (unfortunately as a member of the opposing team). I always wanted to make a banner to take to the Kingdome that said "Griffey is Spiffey" with a picture of him with his hat on backwards and a bow-tie. I guess this is as close as I'll ever come. Anyway, I thought I would share a few of the photos that were included. You can find the original story here (at least for the time being). So, prepare yourselves for a trip down baseball memory lane (or just browse away and wait for me to post something a little more relevant, I don't care).

I remember these uni's, but for the life of me, I can't remember Griffey ever wearing one. This must have been a "throwback" night, since he started with the M's in '89, and they stopped using these in '87 in favor of what I like to call the "boring" uni (see below).

Ahh... what a good sight. Why is baseball so nostalgic for me? I remember waiting to see as a kid, and talking Junior's HR's for days afterward on the playground. Sigh.

I actually met Griffey when I was about the age of these kids (I was in 5th grade at the time). Props to this kid for planting the bunny ears on him. All I did was shake his hand. I haven't washed it since.

My best friend had this poster when I was a kid. In case you are wondering, it says, "Griffey, The Next Generation" and shows him and his dad.

Mmm... the Ken Griffey Jr. bar. These were all over my elementary school. You had arrived if you brought one for lunch. I don't think I ever arrived. They tasted OK, but they looked kind of freaky (imagine a chocolate face of Ken Griffey Jr. on a baseball card).

Whoa! When did this happen? And who the heck is that on Griffey's left? The world may never know...

Well, I realize this isn't my first trip down M's memory lane, but thanks for humoring me - again.

No comments: