Thursday, June 21, 2007

A night at the Standard

I'd like to dedicate this one to all those hep cats and kittens out there.

Last Saturday was a great night in jazz and I got to be there for it. Hmm... where do I start...

How about with a roll call?

This is Jane. We lived in the same apartment complex (aptly named Brownstone) right before moving to NYC. Coincidence? Perhaps. Moving on...
Next we have me. You may be noticing that the photos look a bit blurry. I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the extremely hip vibes that were floating through the room, left over from the previous set. So, what I'm saying is, don't blame the photographer, blame the musicians.
So, here's the man himself, Mr. Joey DeFrancesco. Mr. DeFrancesco plays the jazz organ (more specifically, the Hammond B-3), and he does it extremely well. You can't see it, but there is not bass player in this group (just drums, organ, guitar and sax). There is no need because on top of playing with both hands, and controlling the volume with one foot, he is playing the bass line with his other!
By now, you can see that the hip vibes leftover from the first set had joined up with the newly created hip vibes and began seriously messing with my camera. The big blur on the right is a sax player named George Coleman. He's 72, which is old, and has played with Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Ray Charles and B.B. King, to name a few. So, a you can guess, he was pretty good.

More evidence that the hipness in the room was overwhelming. I guess at this point I should mention that when I say hip, I'm not talking about that weak stuff they brew up in Williamsburg and peddle on the L train, I'm talking about the real stuff. If you don't know what I'm talking about, drop in on your local jazz club.


Finally, I thought I'd put up a picture of this guy. Sorry, I don't remember his name. He was good. I could perhaps beat him at Guitar Hero, but somehow I just don't think he'd care. All in all, it was a great night, and a good way to get out of the house.

P.S. - I hear that during the final set, the hipness vibes got so strong that people's cameras began exploding.

1 comment:

Side of Jeffrey said...

It is unfortunate that the organ player did have his organ to the side so you can see his hands and feet. A little selfish of him.