Monday, April 30, 2007

I'm still living in the past - 1995 to be exact

If you are a M's fan, like I am, the thought of the '95 season still gives you chills. I know that a lot of things have been said about that season, but I don't really care. Living that season was truly magical for many reasons (including giving me a reason to talk to that girl I had a crush on in 9th grade). Seriously though, the memory of that season is so intensely engraved in my memory that names like Luis Sojo, Chris Bosio (raise your hand if you can remember his no-no) and Bobby Ayala bring back great memories. Well, the memory of Bobby Ayala brings back a lot of frustrated memories too, but I'm trying to forget those for the time being.

Well, anyway, here are a few of my favorite memories growing up as a M's fan, told in pictures that I stole from other people.

Wow! Griffey climbs the wall! And breaks his wrist!
Probably my favorite Mariner ever. And yes, that is a mustache. And yes, I do remember when he had it. And yes, I do remember when he wasn't the DH.


This isn't a particularly impressive moment in M's history (at least I don't think it is), but just a good memory. Edgar hitting a HR.

Probably the highlight of my M's memory. That's right, it's the hit that saved baseball in Seattle, the Double. I don't really know how to describe this the right way, but I'm going to try. The M's are tied 2-2 with the Yankees in a best of 5 ALDS series at home. It's the bottom of the 11th, Yankees are up 5-4. Joey Cora bunts and barely makes first base. Griffey singles, Cora makes it to third. Edgar Martinez takes the plate. Bam! Frozen rope to left field. Cora scores, the game is tied. But wait! Theres more! In a display of speed that I sometimes still don't believe, Griffey manages to slide into home and score.
What a great photo. Even with A-Rod in there. Here's a little challenge: can anyone name the guy on top of A-Rod? I know that's an inadequate description of the events, so here's the play-by-play. It still gives me tingles. Well, I know this has been a little bit boring for some, but thanks for humoring me. See you on Saturday.

No comments: