Friday, February 03, 2006

Too much Hullabaloo

So yesterday, as I was catching up on a bit of reading about my beloved Seahhawks, I ran across an article about a lawsuit that Texas A&M is bringing against Seattle for marketing "12th Man" products. Big deal. Seattle is known for stealing sports mottos. If I remember correctly, the rallying cry of the '95 Mariners was "Refuse to Lose" which we ripped off from some basketball team somewhere. Again I repeat, big deal. We have given this world Gary Larson, Nirvana, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Jimi Hendrix, The Presidents of the United States, Modest Mouse, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Starbucks, Microsoft (yeah, I know...), Costco, Amazon.com, Nordstrom, Boeing, Cinnabon, R.E.I., UPS, Red Robin, Nintendo, Bungie (Creators of Halo), the wave (here as well), Sir Mix-A-Lot, Bill Gates, Paul Allen (who owns the Seahawks), Richard Karn (Home Improvement's Al Borland), we have launched the careers of Ray Charles and Quincy Jones, play home (part time) to Dave Matthews, and are the burial place of Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee! I have a feeling if he were alive today that he would go Jeet Kune Do all over your legal documents. I'm sorry if we ripped off your slogan, but we have been too busy doing other things. Oh, by the way, thanks for giving us "Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck!" "Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem!" and "Gig 'em Aggies!" I use those all the time.

Anyway, where were your legal documents when we retired the #12 jersey in '84 and dedicated it to the "12th Man"? It wasn't until 2004 that we even heard anything from you. Why now rather than when we started the tradition in Seattle? You have been doing this a lot longer than we have, I'll give you that, but don't rain on our parade. We get enough of that already. According to your suit, you won't even let us say, "Thank You 12th Man" to all those who deserve it. I guess most Seattleites can just add this suit to the list of things they don't like from Texas. I'll finish my comments (eh, my rant) by quoting R.C. Merz, sandwich maker at Pike Place Market, who when asked if he thought Paul Allen and the Seahawks would be ok responded, "He can hire a good lawyer." You bet he can.

No comments: