Monday, September 01, 2008

Seattle, part one

As promised, stories from Seattle. First up, the Pacific Science Center. One of my faves as a kid (I actually slept over here twice in elementary school), I think it's seen better days. But, it's still the coolest basic science themed attraction I've been to. And they've got 2 IMAX theaters! 2!
They've also got massive squirt guns that teach kids about the scientific definition of work. Much more satisfying than the explanation I got in physics class.
Magnetic tracks for getting ball bearings from point A to point B. They would have been fun, if the ball bearing would actually stay on. Still, we gave it a shot and had a pretty good time of it.
Apparently the worlds largest electric guitar, made appropriately enough by a company called Big Guitars. I don't know how they can back this claim up, though I don't think anyone is going to challenge it any time soon.
The Science Center also has a butterflyarium where regular joes can, for a moment, enter a magical world of lepidopterian delights. One even landed on my hat. The only bummer of the experience was the warning on the way in that we watch our step, as the butterflies like to land on the path, leaving me with images of crushed butterflies throughout the experience.

You haven't really experienced Tic-Tac-Toe until you've used a giant robotic arm to crush your opponent. Looks like these kids are headed toward a cat's game to me.
My nephew performing the famous gyrosopic bike wheel experiment (one of my faves).
I know, this was a fairly cruddy post. Maybe it's because the Science Center didn't live up to my expectation. Probably just nostalgia kicking in. More to follow.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved that place when i was a kid. it's actually the only thing in Seattle i remember.

The Shark said...

Nah, dude, the post isn't lame. The Science Center just isn't as cool as I remember it being as a kid. It's been a while since I last went, but when I did I remember feeling like the whole place was just going to poo. I think they need to renovate a bit. They do some great work there and they make science fun, I think they just need to keep the place feeling fresh.

Anne said...

I just got a call from a friend who was in Seattle for 7 hours and looking for things to do. I've never been there but remembered that you had recently visited so I came here for ideas (er...one idea). She seemed particularly excited with the prospect of seeing the largest electric guitar, so we were both saddened to see that it is closed on Mondays, as are many of the other museums. Why must all of Seattle be closed on Mondays?!

Scrumpestuous D said...

Well, if you lived in as gray and rainy a place as Seattle, you'd want the weekend to last a little longer too.

Anne said...

good point.