Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The telling of tales

Boxcar Dave is a band-wagoneer but I have no regrets. I present to you the inaugural game of Ticket to Ride on my board, played by Jared (Black), Collin (Green) and me (Yellow). Look at those three graceful tracks! Beginning with Helena - Los Angeles, Dallas - New York and Portland - Nashville, I wasn't sure if I had enough for a win. But I picked up some long tracks and made the best of it, barely beating out Collin for the Nashville - Pittsburgh stretch, and coming in just under the wire with Seattle - Helena stretch. Lucky me! What was even luckier was my drawing Seattle - Los Angeles and (ready?) Los Angeles - New York after already having completed them. I also planned to head from Pittsburgh directly to New York, but I wasn't getting the cards and took the jag through DC giving me what I thought to be the longest route. Having just recounted, both Collin and I had 38 trains - meaning we both should have gotten the 10 point bump... meaning we tied! Count for yourself. Which means the person with the most completed routes wins. I got 5. I believe Collin also finished 5 (Saul St. Marie - Nashville, Winnipeg - Houston, Montreal - Atlanta, Duluth - Houston, Seattle - New York) and we're still tied! Which means the player with the longest route card wins - which we both got!

And the rules say nothing more. Folks, I believe we are deadlocked.

Except that I just realized that the scoring is wrong. Having recounted, Collin shorted himself some points. If you add his track score (80), plus his destination score (59) plus his longest train bonus (10) you get 80+59+10 = 149. Adding my track score (71) plus my destination score (66) plus my longest train bonus (10), you get 147! A game that at first I had thought I won, and then thought had ended in a hopeless deadlock I had actually lost by 2 points! The inaugural game!

Collin wins by 2!

Note to self - Pride cometh before the fall. Never photograph a winning game.

6 comments:

Collin Mapp said...

David, you have truly proven that Ticket to Ride is a gentleman's game. Not only do you honor me with your honesty, but you honor the game.

You are the true winner here.

Anonymous said...

My brother has this game, but the map is of Germany. I don't remember if the cards are in German, but I remember playing it, so we must have figured it out somehow. It is a pretty cool game.

Scrumpestuous D said...

That's the Marklin edition. The rules are a little more complex than the original. I'd be interested in trying it.

Side of Jeffrey said...

T2R is the Guitar Hero of 2008. Or the Settlers of 2008. Whatever, something that was popular in a past year...T2R is the 2008 equivalent.

The Shark said...

So could you say that T2R is the N*SYNC of 2008?

Anonymous said...

Well, if you and I ever happen to be in Salt Lake at the same time, we can break out the Marklin edition. Seems unlikely, but I want to make sure the offer is on the table.

Hope you enjoyed Indy last night. I am looking forward to hearing about it. They just invented moving pictures here in Castle Rock, so it might be a while until I see it. (Actually, the real reason is probably more budgetary than chronological, unfortunately :(