Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Another Root Beer Related Review

So, I'm trying to get back in to the swing of regular blogging. For some reason, this Finals session really took it out of me. Probably just a bad case of super-super senior-itis. But, last Wednesday I took my last final exam ever and to celebrate, I opened up the bottle of root beer that the kind folks over at Thomas Kemper sent to me. Seriously guys, this is good stuff.

So, as I mentioned before, they've got a new line of cane sugar sweetened sodas coming out (or perhaps they've come out - it's taken me a bit longer to get this review up. Sorry, TK). After living in Mexico and having been treated to 2 years of cane sugared Coke, I realized just how syrupy sodas made with corn sugar really are. So, as soon as I heard they were making the switch, I was raring to try it. After greedily devouring the sample bottles they sent to me (one each of Root Beer, Ginger Ale, and Black Cherry), I can say that this was a step in the right direction.

Thomas Kemper makes the best black cherry soda I've tried, and every time I'm at my local jazz club throwing back a Boylans black cherry, I wish it was a TK. The major advantage that the Thomas Kemper black cherry has had over the Boylans is body. Too many black cherry sodas have good flavor, but not enough body. It's like biting into a cherry that's half-filled with water. I'll admit that I was afraid that in switching to sugar, the TK was going to end up like the Boylans (also cane sugared) - and it kind of did. The flavor is amazing. I still prefer it to any other black cherry soda around, but it seems to have lost something. Smoothness maybe. Roundness. I don't know. But, what it has picked up is a bit of a tart afterbite that wasn't there before. It's this great little reminder that this is a cherry soda right before you move to your next swig. I wasn't expecting that, and it was a nice surprise. So, all in all, I'd have to say that the new black cherry is only marginally better than the old, which is to say it's still pretty dang good.

The second soda I sampled was the ginger ale. Thomas Kemper ginger ale was something of an acquired taste for me. When I bought the big variety packs at Costco, this was always the last flavor to go. It had way too much kick for my liking. It was the only soda I'd ever drank that burned going down. I'm not sure if I've gotten used to it or if the change in formula also took out some of the burn, but this is a REALLY good ginger ale. It's definitely moving up on my priority list. All of the three sodas I tried were lighter tasting, but the ginger ale benefited the most from it. It's not heavy at all. You get this initial ginger bite, and once you swallow, your mouth is free to move on to the next taste. It went really well with the curry I was eating that night.

And finally, the root beer. This stuff is just great. It's just as smooth and tasty as the original recipe, but unlike so many other sodas, it doesn't leave your mouth feeling like the inside of a Slurpee cup. I'd have to say that it did lose some body, but at this point I'm just guessing that's part of kicking out the corn syrup. I loved how it was so much easier to taste the vanilla, which really made me wish I had another bottle to devote to a good float. Oh well. I hear it can be had down in DC, but maybe that's just a rumor to lure me down there...

All in all, I'd have to say that my expectations were happily met. I'm not sure if the switch has some economic back story or if it was purely for the taste, but it's a step in the right direction. With all these changes that keep popping up about one of my favorite products, I've worried that the quality was headed downhill. You know, corporate expansion at the cost of product quality. Well, so far so good. Keep it up TK. And please start distributing to New York. Please?

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love how you describe the taste testing of this soda Dave! It's as if you were drinking a fine wine or something...body and such (obviously not that I would know what drinking fine wine is like). I love it! And you really made me want to try some of this stuff now and see what I've been missing out on.

Oh, and I love the Indiana Jones quote countdown!

Stacie said...

Looks like they are distributing in Colorado...you'll just have to come visit us!

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS154131+11-Feb-2008+BW20080211

Stacie said...

Here's the link