Friday, January 12, 2007

My thoughts on the iPhone

Hmm... do I even dare tackle this subject? Yes, but only briefly and in the broadest of strokes. I think it is only fair to tell you all that I was practically crying with joy during the keynote address (I'm suck a dork), because I had been following the iPhone rumors pretty heavily and it exceeded my expectations in just about every way. Well, that euphoria has now passed and there is a lot that is being said about this device, both good and bad. The good: great UI and good set of features make this a phone that I think will function well as a replacement to your cell, iPod and basic PDA. The bad: One carrier, no 3rd party applications (probably the only big gripe that I have about it), small disc space (which for music is ok, but for movies and TV? Well, with its battery life, the size might not be such a big deal). Most of the other complaints that have much more to do with the company than the phone. A lot of them sound something like this: "the iTunes DRM scheme sucks, the iPhone uses the iTunes DRM scheme, therefore, by the transitive property, the iPhone sucks." I think that it is clear that the iPhone is quickly becoming the poster child of everything that is good and bad about Apple Inc. because these arguments are the same ones that have been going around for a long time. Cool. Use the buzz to promote your ideas. I have no problem with that. But, let's not get so caught up in company politics to forget that the iPhone is a pretty nice (though not perfect) piece of equipment.

No comments: