Tuesday, August 01, 2006

D's Top Ten Movies #5 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

I was born in 1980, and Raiders came out in 1981. I can't honestly remember when the first time I became aware of Indiana Jones was, although it was probably by watching the movies with my brother. In my mind, this movie is an all time classic and the best of the series.

I won't spend any time on the plot (I guess I usually don't do that anyway), but I'll just throw a few of my thoughts out on the table. I really think that every movie presents a different version of Indy. Of all of them, I really like the one that is presented in Raiders. Though there are serious moments, the movie is pretty lighthearted overall and flows nicely. It would have been nice to see a bit (not much) more romance between Indy and Marion, but it worked out well. The last thing that I want to say has to do with the ending. As much as I love Indiana Jones, and I know that most everything he does falls within that region of "suspended disbelief," I have the hardest time believing that in order to escape the wrath of God, all you need to do is close your eyes. If you don't know what I am talking about, watch it again. Let me know how you feel.

No comments: