Tuesday, August 01, 2006

D's Top Ten Movies #6 - So I Married An Axe Murderer

When this movie first came out, I was 12 and my best friend wanted to go see this for his birthday. My Mom wasn't so excited about that idea, thinking this was some kind of slasher movie or something. Well, it took me about 10 years before I actually saw this movie and it was worth it. This is one of the few movies that I can sit down and watch at any time (another one is coming up later on in the list). I don't know why that is, but I just never get tired of this one.

Not having seen this movie until I was in college, it ended up being one that I quoted before ever even seeing. Lines like "oohh, you're gonna buy my chicken, aren't ye," and "Head! Pants! Now!" were flying around my college dorm room and apartments to the point that I felt that if I ever saw the movie, I would be sorely disappointed because I already knew all the funny parts. Well, I'm glad that it turned out I was wrong.

I don't claim that this movie is one of the greats. In fact, the rottentomatoes.com cream of the crop rating puts it at 20% fresh, which is easily the lowest rating on this list (stay tuned for a listing of all the ratings on this list). I can live with that. This isn't anything more than another Mike Meyers movie, yet it always seems funny to me. Perhaps it is because he plays a rather normal guy as opposed to his usual outrageous characters. Perhaps I can identify with having a quirky family (we all have relatives that are just a little off...). Or perhaps it just has to do with it taking place in San Francisco. Who knows. Either way, I would recommend this movie to anyone. It's funny, it's kinda got heart, and the lines are so gosh-darn quoteable.

No comments: