Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Budapest: Day 6

OK, ready for more? After spending all our time in Pest, we figured it was time to cross the Danube into Buda. We were greeted by this sign. Not sure what it says, but I think I still get the message.
As you may have noticed in my earlier pictures, Buda is set on a hill. Instead of climbing up that hill, we decided to take a ride on the funicular!
Here's what the Chain Bridge looks like from said funicular.
Probably the biggest attraction in Buda is the castle. Luckily, the funicular stops right at the entrance, which looks a little something like this:
During our time in Budapest, these two portraits were displayed outside the castle. The King and Queen perhaps? As much as I'd like to believe that, I'm guessing that Playboy bunny earrings aren't proper attire for royalty. So, either these two are the real estate agents for the place or they have something to do with the art exhibit that was going on inside.

By this point, I was getting a little tired of taking travel shots and tried my hand at something more "artsy" with differing degrees of success. I'll let you be the judge. In case you are wondering, the large building in the background of this shot is St. Stephens, but I've got even better shots of it later, so stay tuned.
If I remember correctly, this is St. Stephen. They sure love this guy there.
OK, pop quiz. What's the name of this building?
Here's one of Steve with the Matthias Church...
...which has an amazing roof.
These guys are apparently guarding the place.
Beyond the church lies the rest of Buda. Mostly this means really old homes, though the odd church or public building breaks the monotony. I have to admit I fell in love with this part of Buda. It's amazingly picturesque and it feels like life just moves a bit slower there. I think I could handle that.



We decided (or perhaps I decided) to not make the trip down on the funicular. We stumbled across this path that not only was beautiful, but provided us with a nice view of parliament.

Here's the Opera House from the outside. I'm not sure why I decided not to take shots of the outsides of buildings at the same time I took the insides. Sorry.
That night I began to wander on my own and came across this street performance. Turns out I was in Budapest's version of the Theater District, and I'm guessing with the season opening, this was some kind of sampler show. Either way, it was quite funny to see throngs of 14-year-old girls screaming at the top of their lungs for Broadway singers and Opera stars. What a difference, right?
That evening, on our way back to our new hotel (pictures tomorrow), I made Alpna stop in at this burrito place we had been walking past all week. Who could resist the opportunity to try Hungarian-style Mexican? Turns out this was probably their version of Chipotle. I was hoping for some sort of memorable story here, but the best I could get was this photo of a mural in the restaurant that I wholly agree with.

1 comment:

Cabeza said...

Juan Diego holding up a taco in place of a vĂ­rgen = best thing ever.