Friday, August 08, 2008

Pimping the Woo

In case you didn't know this (and you probably didn't), I have way more music on my computer than my hard drive will allow. How did I do this? Well... first I cannibalized my old laptop for it's hard drive, then I bought an external enclosure for it... following me? Basically, I carry around this little had drive with me wherever I go, and for being a little drive it sure is a big pain in the tookus. It does give me access to about 20GB of music without gobbling up that much space on my hard drive, but if I ever plug my iPod in to my computer without first plugging in my hard drive... look out. Error after error after error. So, it's a mixed blessing.

My buddy Woo has come up with a better solution, especially if you happen to have one of those iPhone thingies. Basically, he's written a bit of software called ooTunes that will let you access your entire music collection anywhere you can get an internet connection. Pretty cool, huh? I wouldn't have to pack around that silly hard drive anymore. And if that weren't enough, those of you cool enough to own an iPhone can use it on that as well. Did I mention that it will also play streamed radio on your iPhone (including Pandora, last.fm, etc.)?

Yes, of course I'm trying to sell you on the idea (so is he, by the way, for $19.99). I'm doing it for 2 great reasons: 1) Woo is a friend of mine, and 2) Woo is a friend of mine who wrote a great piece of software. Check it out. Seriously. If you have a computer at home and want to listen to your music at work, this is the way to go. Woo's a super nice guy, so if you've got any questions, I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

2 comments:

Cabeza said...

Please explain more how it works. Do I have to upload all my files? Is the fee a one-time thing? What's the draw if I don't have an iPhone? Do I need iTunes or some other such player at work where I'm going to access my music, or does the site have its own media player?

Scrumpestuous D said...

Good questions. I'm going to refer you here for the detailed answers, but here are the quick ones:

-You don't upload any files (they stay on your home computer)
-The fee is a one time thing
-The non-iPhone draw is in being able to access your entire music collection from anywhere you can get an internet connection (work, school, starbucks, etc)
-The backend requirements are listed here, and I happen to know your computer meets them. To listen, you just need a web browser with Flash (check here if you're not sure if you've got Flash installed - though you probably do). The media player will show up in your browser.