Thursday, August 07, 2008

Charlize, Scarlett, Gwyneth or Grace? Does it matter?

I've been thinking an awful lot about Hitchcock movies lately. Staring at the Vertigo poster over my desk every day probably has something to do with it. Be that as it may, I can't quite remember how I came across this Vanity Fair piece, since I don't read Vanity Fair, I figured that since it's germane to my recent inner ramblings I'd share.My personal favorites? All the Grace Kelly recreations and Seth Rogan running from the plane. The Psycho shot is OK, too. The rest are just kind of meh, except for the Marnie shot which I really don't like. Blah, blah, blah. Look at me, I'm an art critic.

3 comments:

Cabeza said...

So yeah, I think that Scarlett Johannsen and Gwyneth Paltrow are nice to gaze upon, but they are NO Grace Kelly. It fringes upon sacrilege... I'm not too thrilled about Robert Downey, Jr. assuming Cary Grant's position, either.

I got no problem with the Marnie shot. Half that movie was solo shots of Tippi Hedren in soft focus. So it's Naomi Watts instead of Melanie Griffith's mom. Meh.

Jodi Foster as Tippi bugs me more. She utterly failed to capture Ms. Hedren's panic-stricken visage.

Nice touch putting Eva Marie Saint in the Lifeboat picture. A little shout-out to her Hitchcock work.

Now I too am an art critic!

Scrumpestuous D said...

I normally think Naomi Watts is a lovely person, but I just don't think the photo is very flattering.

Maybe VF got a screengrab of Iron Man 2 and colored Pepper Potts' hair blonde.

Blah, blah, blah.

The Shark said...

That "Psycho" recreation attempts to mimic the sheer horror of that scene, but utterly fails. The water dripping off her face as the girl screams is a nice touch, but just look at the original image: it's CHAOS. The water is in your eyes, the screaming face is smeared by terror. FAIL.