Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Most Excellent Subscription That Would Waste Too Much of My Time

Please forgive me for subjecting you all to the horrors that are AC Slatering, but I was getting desperate for something to post about (also, I found it to be extremely hilarious). Hopefully today's post will be a bit less sophomoric and a bit more freshmanic.

Have I mentioned that I've been on something of a comic book tear lately? Yes, ever since I purchased Spider-Man 3 a couple of weeks ago, I've been obsessing about the various minutiae of my favorite superheroes. I've even created my own superhero team in the action/RPG game Marvel Ultimate Alliance*. Unfortunately, most of this obsessing has taken the form of visiting various web sites to get the latest news on all things Marvel, simply because I don't have the capital to buy even a small sample of the comics I've missed out on from 1994-present. Enter Marvel Digital Comics, a new subscription service that gives you access to a ton of comics, old and new (roughly 2,500 at launch, with 20 added each week). The cost? $10/month, or $5/month when billed yearly. Yup, for 60 bones a year you can get access to all these comics.

I have to admit that I'm a bit undecided about whether or not I should buy into this. Perhaps I should weigh out the pros and cons...

Pros
Hours and hours of comic book bliss
Being the envy of all the guys who hang out at Forbidden Planet (not the ones who work there)
Even more excuses for not exercising

Cons
Loss of contact with family/friends
Possible formation of "funk" in my bedroom
Extremely high risk of another 27 years of celibacy

Doubtlessly, I'll be debating this for days.

*Team Name: Counterstrike; Members:Captain America, Wolverine, Storm, Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Daredevil, Invisible Woman(this may have been a bad choice and she may be replaced soon) and Silver Surfer.

No comments: