Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Handyman D

What do you do when you run out of space on your bookshelf? Add another shelf, of course.

Now, the school was kind enough to provide me with a bookshelf, meaning that I didn't buy it, nor know where to get an additional shelf. Chances are, they couldn't be had even if I did. So that meant doing the next best thing - making one. Turns out Home Depot sells individual shelves, but none in the size I needed (34"x11"). Thankfully, I'm well equipped to handle problems like this.

Back in Seattle, growing up, my Dad and I had a bit of a Sunday afternoon tradition: watching home repair shows on PBS. Not all my experience is academic either. I've built cabins, reroofed houses, remodeled bathrooms and even built an outhouse once. So, happy to put these skills to work again, I pulled out my saw and began to cover the floor of my little Manhattan apartment in sawdust.
A few cuts later and I've got a new shelf. As you can see, it doesn't exactly match, but that's not the point. The point is that through use of manliness and tools I was able to bring a little more order to my universe and reestablish myself as master of my domain.
Manly mission accomplished, I'd say!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ah, the things that can be accomplish with the right amount of manliness and the appropriate tools

Cabeza said...

In which David achieves victory: LINK