Monday, March 30, 2009

Middle bit with plants

All rested from the day before, we decided to head up Table Mountain. We took the easy route.
I didn't manage to get many pictures that would be of general interest to anyone while I was up there, but the view was spectacular, and I wish I'd had more time to explore, but because of schedules and plane flights, the trip up was a quick one. I never made it to this beach either.

After we rode back down to the parking lot, we headed towards Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens. People talk about the botanical gardens in New York, and impressive as they may be, I've never been to a botanical garden like this one. The setting alone raises it to a whole other level. The gardens nestled right up against Table Mountain, and with you back to what bit of the city you can see there is no reason to believe you aren't in Eden. We arrived in the late afternoon and stayed until they practically kicked us out. I suppose that's what happens when you get 3 biologists on a field trip to see plants. I don't know many of the names of what I photographed, but I will fill in what I do know. No idea what this is.
But this is a Fire Lily.
And I think we all know what this is.


Don't be fooled. These are ducks.

See what I mean about being Edenic?



I'm pretty sure these next three are Proteas, which are the national flower.




Smutspad: Less racy than you'd think.
After exhausting ourselves at the gardens, we headed back to our crash pad, the Daddy Longlegs, which is a pretty cool place to stay, considering that each room is done up by a different local artist.

And I slept and dreamed of being in a peaceful field somewhere.

Whales tomorrow folks, so stay tuned.

No comments: