Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Where am I going with this?

My musical life can be divided into two distinct parts. Part one is trying to grow my Jazz collection (140 albums plus odds and ends). Part two is everything else (roughly the same size plus tons of singles).

These two halves are at odds with each other.

The first part is well thought out, organized and makes me incredibly dull during conversations about music. I know what my next purchases are going to be and why. The second part is a scattershot collection of bits and pieces. Strange explorations and dead ends with a few good strong veins of interest. However, it appears that I'll always be that guy who signals a band's change from cool to corporate. I'm just waiting for Pitchfork to block my IP address.

So, what's the point in telling you all this? Well, I've got $13 in iTunes credit, and I'm open to suggestions. Here's a list of recent purchases to get the ball rolling:

Singles
Human - The Killers
E-Pro - Beck
La Mer - Charles Trenet
Ready for the Floor - Hot Chip
Ophelia - The Band


Albums
Parallel Lines - Blondie
In Ghost Colours - Cut Copy
Let it Die - Feist
LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem

3 comments:

Cabeza said...

Maybe check out TV on the Radio's latest offering, Dear Science. I'll post more if I think of more.

Cabeza said...

Also--your They Might Be Giants collection is sadly out of date. I would recommend acquiring one of two albums: Mink Car or The Else. Probably Mink Car.

The Bronsons said...

I recommend "Islands in the Stream" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. It's a good companion song to "9 to 5".