Saturday, July 29, 2006

D's Top Ten Movies #9 - The Lord of the Rings

What can I say, this is probably the epic of my generation. Originally, I was skeptical of these movies. I missed all of the hype surrounding the first of these movies (being in Mexico at the time), and my first impression of them came from a giant poster in the apartment of a college student that I taught in Puebla. As my companion and I were getting to know her, we talked about it, and I remember thinking, "Man, another fantasy nerd pic." You see, I am not a big fan of the fantasy genre. It was the nerdy kids that I grew up with always talking about wizards this and unicorns that that really turned me off on the subject. I guess I should tell you that I was what most kids called nerdy, so the kids that I called nerdy were, well, ubernerds. Anyway, I really didn't think that the movies or books were worth checking out.

That all changed when Fellowship of the Ring was released on DVD. I was at my parents house for a few weeks, and saw a poster for Fellowship in the window of the local Blockbuster. Thinking that Liv Tyler was hot, I decided to give it a rent, and I got hooked.

I don't know what to say about these films (In case you haven't picked up on it yet, I'm considering the trilogy as one movie) other than what has already been said. 11 Oscars and millions of fans can't be completely wrong. The cinematography is good, the adaptation, though lacking in some parts, is about as good as you can get, and the acting is well done. I think that the biggest thing about these movies is the absolutely large feel of these movies. From the sets, to the backgrounds, to the story itself, everything is too large to be contained in this world, yet no so big that it seems unreal. Kudos to Peter Jackson for undertaking a task that by its very nature doesn't usually work and making it work.

No comments: