Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blown mind

A little while ago, I had my mind blown. I had recently purchased a Miles Davis CD, and noticed that it was recorded at the CBS 30th St. Studios. Now, I know a lot of stuff gets recorded here in NYC, but since I happen to work on 30th St, I figured I'd look it up and see where this studio was located. Turns out, it is about half a block from where I work. I walk past it all the time! Here's what it looks like today:

Yeah, it's been torn down and turned in to apartments, but here's what it looked like while it was still in existence:
Basically, from what I've read, this was one of the premiere studios in the city, but mostly used for Jazz and Classical (though later on, others greats like Bob Dylan recorded here). Here's a sampling of some of the albums that were recorded (all of these I own):













As you can see, lots of Miles Davis. Pretty cool to think that I work a few yards away from where all these great albums were recorded.

No comments: