Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Rise and Fall of Western Civilization

I'm tired and frustrated. Due to a recent influx of CDs, I have had the great frustration of not having anything all that great to play them on. I love my Mac, but the small speakers just don't sound all that great. Add to that my recent desire to get away from digital music and back to CDs (any audiophiles out there are now laughing), and I'm in something of a bind.

I do have a stereo. I bought it when I was 14, so it's 12 years old now and the CD player is broken. On the bright side, both the tape decks still work. Yay.

Who knew that in the last 12 years the audio industry has changed? Do you know how hard it is to find a decent desktop stereo system that doesn't look like it came from Mars? Yeah, I don't really care all that much for shiny, globular stereos with additions like "dynamic x-boost" or the ability to play songs off a USB drive. And I don't want a home theater system. What is this world coming to?

So, after a frustrating look on the internet at places like BestBuy and Circuit City (where I purchased my beloved Aiwa so many years ago) and a trip to Bang and Olufsen's site (I forgot for a moment that I'm a grad student), I finally found something that interests me: Tivoli Audio's Music System.


The Pros: I love the look. Simple, clean, understated. None of those stupid graphics and crazy lights that you find on so many of the systems today. Most importantly, the sound quality is supposed to be phenomenal. I've never heard one, but I haven't found a review that bagged on one of these.

The Cons: $700 price tag. Ouch. Waaaaaaaay too far out of my range. For that price, I'm tempted to start a component system, but this one looks so sexy. If only I were made of money...

2 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

Start up a collection and I'll give you $10. Only 70 more people to beg from. I had a roommate who used to play the violin in Little Italy on Saturdays and make $30-$40 an hour. You could go there and do, um, science experiments or something?

Scrumpestuous D said...

Wow, I'm awed by your generosity. I've often wondered how much I could make playing the guitar or trumpet on the corner or on the subway platform.
Perhaps, with all the ritzy private schools in the area, I could parlay my skills as a scientist and advise kids on their science fair projects (for a nominal fee). Goodbye vinegar volcano, hello microarrays!